Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tvbwhy

TVB Series lack originality

312 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Been a fan of tvb series since I was a kid growing up. However, is it me or do you guys feel that TVB is lacking originality in their series. The story lines are getting bland and lack creativity. Instead of offering new series, they come up with sequels to series.

I have started to watch Korean series which I feel are refreshing and offer unique story lines.

But I am still thinking that TVB drama series is the moist exciting tv series that i have seen.

I agree partly to that, the story isn't that similar or exactly the same, so maybe you can see some level of difference in some series. but it's true that many story lines are repeated.

thats why i stop watching now....lolz...bored of it already....

thats why i stop watching now....lolz...bored of it already....

I feel the same way about TVB lacking originality. Their storyline isn't very good and there are just too many newbie actors I don't like. I prefer the veterans. TVB ratings just aren't what they used to be. I even switched to Korean and Taiwanese idol dramas. Only recently have TVB caught my eye again with Rosy Business and Palace Scheming(宮心計). Hopefully it doesn't disappoint me.

Well, there's nothing more they can do to improve just like how american movies are doing remakes. TVB needs something radical that people will still want to watch. Any suggestions on that area rather then just criticize them for their lack of idea.

i've been thinking the exact same thing over the last few years. tvb has been recycling old storylines for ages and frankly i'm getting sick of them. most of them deal with the dynamic of relationships with a slight change in the running theme (there's a huge array of series with forensics, policing, lawyers, hospitals, cooking, kung fu, etc used as a backdrop to storylines that are all too famillier). and the relationships they depict are often cliched and recycled too. furthermore, i hate how tvb seems to be getting more and more conservative. to me they only seem to touch on the surface of serious issues and seem to avoid more contentious and confronting themes other production companies aren't afraid to delve into. one example of the conservativeness i see is how they don't seem to include scenes of couples making out or being intimate as much as i remembered back years ago. and when there is a make out scene or whatever, i find them annoyingly unconvincing (which may not be the fault of tvb as much as it is the fault of the director/actors/casting agent). i feel like they've been dumbing it down so that it can reach a wider audience and in my opinion, they're underestimating the intelligence of the audience.

some suggestions? how bout writing characters that are of an "alternative" lifestyle than the typical wholesome chinese family. like why is there never a good represenation of a contemporary gay/lesbian character in tvb series of late? and how about developing more sitcoms or longer series that allow for more twists and turns and allows for more originallity?

which reminds me, i can't stand how so many people complain that a series is too long when it goes beyond 25 episodes. if the series has substance, originally and a good hook, it doesn't matter how long it goes on for. sometimes i think tvb makes deliberate and excessive attempts to please the more conservative audiences to avoid getting complaints for being too "graphic" or whatever. so i think part of the reason why tvb is losing originality is because audiences have an apparent dislike to change. welll i'm not one of those people who don't know how to embrace change so tvb better start challenging audiences like me otherwise they'll end up losing a massive share of the market.

whoa that was a long rant...

I think that some TVB series are as good as ever, e.g. Rosy Business

yea i agree, tvb repeats their love stories the same, but still it's the best out of all others! =) I will always stay with TVB! =)

I'm pretty much on the same page but bear in mind TVB is already trying their best but talent is limited

Sometimes but there are some that stand out with its own storyline ie Moonlight reasonance!!! It's hard for TVB to make good series all year around so it's very unlikely that every serie will draw your attention.

TVB's creativity is limited now....... alot of ideas are from other famous movies

They tend to follow similar storylines...not that they aren't interesting though. The actors do a great job of portraying their roles!

its getting more predictable each time for tvb drama...singaporean drama is much better nowadays...more exciting and originality...

Their storyline isn't very good and there are just too many newbie actors I don't prefer

Yeah I agree, sometimes they lack originality and are quite predictable which can make it boring. Although I admit, there are still some very good TVB series to watch, however not many these days.

TVB series are lot better than they use to be - more characters and more chapters.

I think it is the matter of changing taste and preference of demand. Since TVB has been providing many and many great series in the past....however, the demand for product has changed these days; what we are looking for is not an orginial Monkey King anymore, we actually want something that entertain us while we are having dinner with our family...that's why people feel like TVB series is not as good as before...

they like to pick professions and make them appear 10x more exciting than they are in real life. how many series do they plan to make about lawyers, doctors, police, firefighters etc.??

and can they stop advertising drinks and electronics (esp. SE phones) already???

i'd rather they film new versions of the condor hero trilogy...oh wait i guess they cannot advertise drinks and SE phones in those...nevermind.

hey! ahaha.. I dont know.. I agree to some extent that some of the story lines are kinda predictable.. but I think they do a really good job in trying to introduce the audience to different occupations and different things. sure some things are adapted from other shows.. but i like em all the same...

But at least TVB is good in promoting government department, from fire brigade to imigration department. I think almost all the department in HK are well-known to the drama watcher.