Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest tammyw

Are Hong Kong songs/singers getting worse?

305 posts in this topic

Is it just me getting old or is the songs/singers nowadays getting worse? I love some H.K. actors/actresses but honestly I think they should just stick with acting and not singing.

yes, i agreed the hk singers are getting worse. they can't compare with the 80's and 90's singers.

I agree... Its been a while since i heard good songs.

I dont know if theyre getting worse but I feel like cantopop isnt growing. You look at artists like Khalil and you can see how he is experimenting or exploring new sounds with his music, whereas HK artists i feel generally go for the same sound which sells. Of course there are exceptions but I feel theres just not much artistry anymore :/

totally agreed! i feel like they are just mixing around and trying to develop themselves...but music and acting requires talent...i am very selective now with watching hong dramas and listening to their music since pplz just ain't good.

Definitely! The songs of nowadays have lyrics that make no sense. Gone are the days of song lyrics that are romantic, poetic and meaningful. I think the Hong Kong audience should also share the blame for the deteriorating situation, they blindly patronizing those singers who have no quatlities.

I think they are getting from bad to worst. They are just making noise not music. The lyrics are meaningless, no depth. Making loud noises and shake especially a hullucinatory effect after you have taken a pill or two.

I must be getting old. The modern day music in Hong Kong seems to make noise instead of pleasant notes to your ear. Worst of all, the lyrics is meaningless. It hardly express feeling. It just scream and let the steam out. hardly relaxing

I dont really think it's HK singers are getting worse...I think it's a couple of different things: first TVB really likes to have their actors sing their theme songs in the recent years, except for really grand productions. But these actors are not necessarily singers or trained to be singers ....

Secondly, people are shifting their focus to other music, like Korean music...

Thirdly, I think the genres are different now comparing to the 80's and 90's

yes, most of the hong kong singer are actors not true music artist

It's really worsens and going down like crazy !!!!

There are many great singers. I particularly like Stephanie Ho. She has a thunderous voice and knows when to tone it down. There are indeed many singers who can act better than they sing. Stephanie Ho, Crystal Tin, Fiona Sit are some of the exceptions. They can sing and act. As for Jackie Chan, no no definitely no, no offence Jackie. You should stick to acting. I love all your shows some of them are pretty silly though.