Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest tammyw

Are Hong Kong songs/singers getting worse?

305 posts in this topic

Is it just me getting old or is the songs/singers nowadays getting worse? I love some H.K. actors/actresses but honestly I think they should just stick with acting and not singing.

hey!

I totally agree!!! I think that they should stick to acting as well, for example last time I heard lai zi song it was terrible!!! She is a great actor and everything but singing is just not the same!

However you do get people such as myolie wu and bernice liu who are good at both because personally i think they can sing very well indeed!!!

hey!

I totally agree!!! I think that they should stick to acting as well, for example last time I heard lai zi song it was terrible!!! She is a great actor and everything but singing is just not the same!

However you do get people such as myolie wu and bernice liu who are good at both because personally i think they can sing very well indeed!!!

agreed!except bernice's voice seems much more american like when singing live.

not many new singers have talent there are so little you can actually count from 2004. its janice, vincy, kay....an thats bout it.you cant say that the ones with no talent win by looks because nowadays they look rreally ugly...so i guess its the money...

Edited by jen1113

songs wise . . . yes . . . cuz of mass production . . . n there r lack of talented lyrics/music writers . . . but there r so many artists around . . . so it's realli hard to find good songs that can last for years these days . . . back then . . . almost every song was classic . . . now . . . probabli less than 10 a year . . .

as for artists . . . i actually think it's getting better . . . ppl r starting to judge artists not by their looks but by their musical talents . . . artists who can sing, write songs and lyrics are much more popular nowadays versus artists who just look good . . . i still remember a few years back there were all these pretty/handsome artists out, but none of them could sing . . . at least now ppl r becoming more demanding . . . as for the trend of actors/actresses trying to break into the singing industry . . . unless ur skilled in singing . . . dun even try . . . too many failure cases out there already . . .

yes, they can't sing and their songs are almost the same and they dont even have the looks too.

**i'm referring to real professional singers

not tvb actors/actresses who sing the themesongs of their series

I just wanted to to weigh in here; I worked in the Hong Kong music industry, although it was many years ago. The main problem I saw when I was there was that everyone took themselves way too seriously. Music should be fun, and the songwriters and artists and producers who are great don't start out great, they become great - by growing and continually learning and knowing that they have a long way to go before they can be great. Unfortunately, that was not the attitude of most of the people I met back then. Consequently, they were satisfied with what they were doing, which they just assumed was great.

Since the music hasn't changed nearly as much since then as in other countries/regions, I'd venture to guess that many still have that attitude.

It's sad, because despite how much I WANT to like a lot of music from HK, in the end, I usually don't...

theyre all the same. i gotta say, LINDA CHUNG ROCKS AT SINGING!! lol who thinks linda is good at singing?

definitely agree~ most actors/actresses/new singers dont have the vocal to sing... kinda sound like they're outa breath.

i also feel that there's not many good canto songs out either.

i listen to more mandarin music in the past few years :X

Some hong kong singers are okay but some are worst.

I think Janice can sing good...........she got so popular so fast..........her song is good too and nice voice...... :angelwee:

I KIND OF agree... I guess it's because there are so many "new" singers "coming out"... the larger number of "below par" singers means more focus on them rather than the few "on par" new singers out there.... there's always a jewel amidst the not-so-shiny rocks...

and then again, there are those who start out as being judged as "below par" that end up being amazing with proper training...

but yes.... the multi-talented definitely have an edge...

Absolutely, there are only a few songs that I enjoy listening to now-in-days. The quality just cannot compare to the classics and oldies - 80s and 90s.

I agree. The Hong Kong Music Industry is going downhill. A strinking market filled with way too many average singers. It will never be as good as the days gone by. I just don't get it. Where did all the good song writers go?

:sleep:

Certainly, HK music has gone down the past few years, but there are some new singers that are really good like Janice and Vincy. It just seems like there are no variation; too many slow songs. Though not a lot of cpop singers can pull off fast songs.

around the late 2000's the industry was really bad, when Jacky was like semi retired and Leon Lai wasn't accepting awards.. during the late 90's a lot of the veteran singers retired and just disappeared... but the past 2-3, the industry seems to realize that the HK industry is in a slump. the singers and quality of songs are definitely getting better.. in terms of genre, it's still lacking as it seems to be a handful of ballads and slow songs with very little dance songs...but it's getting there..

there are definitely a new wave of singers that can revive teh industry. these past two years, a lot of singer-composers have really helped. like Khalil Fong, Louis Cheung, Ivana Wong, Justin, etc. and then we have Vincy.. which i was surprised when i heard her voice.. and such a pity that shes from EEG...

hk entertainment industry completely lacks of talent. they have one or two ppl who can act or sing and push them and sell them to the point that it makes me sick. like andy lau, i just wish he would go away. just because they look cute and can provide their bosses with previlages or they're rich doesn't mean they have any type of talent. hk want to get some nods in the entertainment industry, you have to put money into it inorder to get any type of result. you need to help ppl with talent and not just ppl who look alright.

i agree with you that the hk people should just stick with acting.. they always chooses the actors to sing the theme song or some other songs that are very bad.. i think they should just stick with their acting too.. it just gives me a very bad impression of them once they started singing the theme songs or something like tha..

they should start bringing more talented people who can sing to the entertainment industry and this way, there will be more good songs....

I agree partly. HK music isn't as awesome as it used to be, but there are still good stuff out there. It's just a matter of finding them. Janice, Jill, Vincy, Justin, Leo Ku, Joey are all pretty good singers. I think the writers are very important too because they write the songs. I admire all the song writers out there because it's a lot harder than it looks, especially those who write and sing. ^_^

nowadays alot of new hk singers just sell the look and can't sing, but i agree that there are still some good ones.

Some pretty good points here. I think you do have to have a little patience in seeing some singers develop. Take Leo Ku for example. I thought he was so awful when he first started that I would cringe everytime I saw him or hear him. He has gotten a lot better now.

That being said, the industry has really taken a beating. The problem is that the changing of the guard from the 90's to now has been a difficult one, as most of the singers that are being "marketed" now have the looks, but no talent whatsoever. It was a different time 10 years ago... someone like Jacky Cheung could easily get by on his natural singing ability alone. These days, you need more than that to impress, which sometimes means beauty overtakes raw talent. The problem nowadays is that the industry is getting desparate, so they heavily try to market what they think is the "next best thing," milk him / her for all they got, only to watch them fizzle in a year or two. Pretty sad.

As for the person with the Andy Lau comment, I really disagree. He is probably one of the most talented entertainers out there, considering he does a great job acting and singing. He really deserves all the accolades he gets. Try to name any entertainer that can do the same or better in both disciplines (besides Sammi Cheng, hehe...).

it's very hard to find a good singer these days in hk... so many of them think they can sing well... sigh i miss the older people from the 90s

I'd say that the TVB formula of taking their actors and actresses and having them become singers isn't working out so well. Diminishing returns if you will. However, they're some good newcomers like Vincy, Janice, Justin, just to name a few. Don't forget the vets that are still recording like Jacky Cheung, Andy Lau, Eason Chan, Hacken Lee and Sammi's making her comeback.