Man arrested for indecent assault at Tung Chung MTR station

    johnwai82
    By johnwai82,

    Source: Coconuts HK / Apple Daily HK

    Edited: johnwai82

    A wild chase through an MTR station, videotaped by a man who claims he was sexually assaulted ended yesterday with the arrest of the 38-year-old he accused of groping him in a train car. According to Apple Daily, the incident took place at about 8am yesterday morning on a Tung Chung line train bound for Hong Kong station.

    The alleged victim, “Ah Keung,” not his real name, told the newspaper he was taking the train to work in Central, and as the train doors opened, felt a hand, one he insists belonged to the man in question  brushed against his groin region. Ah Keung said at first he wrote the odd contact as incidental, telling the paper his immediate reaction was “no way, a man can’t be indecently assaulted surely?” Pro tip: Yes they can.

    What happened was a bit odd. As he walked through the walkway that connected to Hong Kong and Central MTR stations, he noticed the same man walking close to him and suspected he was going to attempt touching him again. Ah Keung told the newspaper that he immediately looked up and Lee walked away. Apparently, that was suspicious enough behavior to decide that the earlier encounter had, in fact been something less than kosher. It was at this point that Ah Keung confronted the man who denied the accusation and took off. Cue the pursuit, which was filmed by the alleged victim’s cell phone. Throughout the video, Lee can be heard saying “I didn’t do anything to you” as he is chased through the ticket barriers.

    Four police officers arrive at the station to question Lee, and he was arrested on suspicion of indecent assault. 


    Driver, 67, dies in minibus crash in Sha Tin

    johnwai82
    By johnwai82,

    Source: Ejinsight / OnCC

    2038746_44bb5918829b17ff60f15879a357108b

    A minibus driver was killed and more than a dozen passengers were hurt after an accident in Tin Sum in Sha Tin district on Monday. At around 8:30 am, a green minibus serving route No. 403 crashed into a boundary wall on a road and flipped over to its right side, resulting in casualties. The bus driver, a man aged 67, suffered a head injury due to the crash and was knocked unconscious while his passengers found themselves getting thrown around inside the vehicle.

    The accident took place on Shing Mun Tunnel Road as the bus was traveling from Shek Lei Estate to Sha Tin Wai, the Hong Kong Economic Journal reports. It is believed that driver lost control of the vehicle and crashed it onto a boundary wall, sending it careening onto its side. The minibus was crushed, with the head of the vehicle severely damaged, leaving the driver trapped inside. After being alerted about the incident, firefighters and paramedics arrived at the scene. Firemen pulled out the driver, who was in an unconscious state. He was rushed to Yan Chai Hospital, where he was later certified dead. All of the 16 passengers, aged 18 to 56, were injured but managed to get out of the minibus. None of the passengers, comprising 10 males and six females, was in life-threatening condition, although two of them were reported to have suffered more serious injuries than the rest. They were sent to Yan Chai Hospital and Princess Margaret Hospital in conscious state for treatment.

    According to reports, the driver had been on regular medication for high blood pressure, and it uncertain whether he took his pill that morning before the accident happened. There was no sign of emergency braking in the incident. Police officers were investigating the driver’s mental state and the speed at which he was driving, RTHK reported. Initial investigations suggested that mechanical failure was not to blame for the crash, the public broadcaster quoted a police officer as saying. According to the driver’s son, his father had been working the route for two years. The minibus operator, meanwhile, stressed that it requires all of its drivers to make health declarations every year. According to the firm, the driver did not disclose any long-term illness during the declaration last year.


    1 person dead, at least 20 injured in oil tanker fire off Lamma Island

    johnwai82
    By johnwai82,

    Source: OnCC / Coconuts HK

    bkn-20190108120619741-0108_00822_001_01p bkn-20190108120619741-0108_00822_001_02p.jpg?20190108170540

    bkn-20190108120619741-0108_00822_001_07p

    At least one person has died and 21 people have been injured after an oil tanker caught fire off the coast of Lamma Island this morning. According to Ming Pao, police received a report that the tanker, the Aulac Fortune had caught fire about one nautical mile off the coast of the island’s south side at 11am. The spot where the tanker had caught fire is close to Sham Wan, which is one of the few sea turtle resting grounds in southern China, and is also known locally as “turtle cove”.

    A police spokesperson told Coconuts HK that so far at least one person has been confirmed dead, two are missing, and at least 23 were rescued. The spokesperson confirmed that at least one of the 21 people who were injured was taken to Ruttonjee Hospital in Wan Chai for treatment. Apple Daily reports that one of the injured — a 36-year-old Vietnamese man — was taken to Queen Mary Hospital in Pok Fu Lam. Police were unable to confirm to Coconuts HK how many crew members were on board the tanker and their nationalities, but Ming Pao reports that it had 27 members of crew, and most are believed to be Vietnamese.

    Residents on Lamma Island reported hearing loud bangs, and feeling their windows and doors shaking. One resident called Clare Merlo wrote on a Facebook for Lamma Island residents: “I felt it. My front door banged. The noise shook me right through.” Deb Lindsay, a resident who lives in the village of Po Wah Yuen in the northern part of the island, wrote: “My windows shook really badly but the was no wind. I thought there had been an earthquake!”

    According to Ming Pao, the Aulac Fortune is a Vietnam-registered vessel built in 2010, and it arrived in Hong Kong from the city of Dongguan, in Guangzhou province last night. The vessel is about 144 meters long, and 22.6 meters wide.


    Hong Kong police hunt six who pushed woman onto ground and kicked her dog at Fu Hong Street Pet Garden in Chai Wan

    johnwai82
    By johnwai82,

    bkn-20181227035721670-1227_00822_001_05p bkn-20181227035721670-1227_00822_001_02p

    bkn-20181227035721670-1227_00822_001_03p

    A citywide search was under way on Thursday for six people who pushed a 63-year-old Hong Kong woman onto the ground and kicked her dog. The group also beat a 27-year-old man who tried to stop the attack, which took place on Wednesday soon after 11.30pm at Fu Hong Street Pet Garden in Chai Wan.

    Police said the five men and one woman, thought to be aged between 20 and 40, had fled the scene before officers arrived. The violence was spurred by an argument over a trivial matter that began when the woman’s adult male shiba inu started barking at the group’s own dog. Police said in a statement: “They are suspected of pushing the female victim onto the floor and kicking the victim’s dog.” The passer-by saw the incident and tried to stop the six but was punched in the head. Officers scouted the area, but no arrests were made.

    The woman suffered leg injuries and complained of back pain after the attack, and the man was hurt on his forehead and nose. They were taken conscious to Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital in Chai Wan for treatment. The dog was sent to the Wan Chai office of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA). An SPCA spokeswoman said the dog had been handed back to the owner’s family after undergoing examinations and treatment at its 24-hour facility in Wan Chai. The case has been classified by police as assault and cruelty to an animal.


    Talks to separate Hong Kong and mainland Chinese pigs in slaughterhouses amid African swine fever fears

    johnwai82
    By johnwai82,

    Source: SCMP/On.cc

     

    bkn-20181220191242428-1220_00822_001_01p bkn-20181220191242428-1220_00822_001_02p

    bkn-20181220191242428-1220_00822_001_02p

    Hong Kong food safety officials were on Thursday night in talks with the pork industry over segregating local and mainland Chinese pigs during slaughter, because of fears of an outbreak of African swine fever, which had already spread to neighbouring Guangdong province. But the Centre for Food Safety said the separate ownership and operation of the city’s two main abattoirs made separation difficult. Mainland and local pigs are both processed at the Sheung Shui slaughterhouse, which is owned by the government, and a privately run one in Tsuen Wan. “The operation, source of pigs and sales are different, making it difficult to achieve a consensus,” a source from the centre said, though adding that segregation would help protect local pigs from infection.

    The centre revealed the talks after the national Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs reported 11 pigs had contracted the disease and died at a slaughterhouse in the Xiangzhou district of Zhuhai, Guangdong, just 60km from Hong Kong on the opposite bank of the Pearl River Delta. The source said the centre and the city’s Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department had stepped up measures to prevent local pigs from being infected, including giving local farmers information about the disease and boosting sterilisation of trucks used in the industry. A total of 154 mainland pig farms supply the animals to Hong Kong and Macau. But supplies from four of them were suspended because they were near areas affected by the virus. There are 43 pig farms in Hong Kong, with a total of about 50,000 pigs. About 3,500 to 4,000 live pigs are supplied from the mainland to Hong Kong daily. They and about 250 pigs from local farms are slaughtered every day. The centre said the supply and auction price of live pigs imported from the mainland in the past few months had been stable, despite the swine fever – a severe viral disease, for which there are no vaccines or treatments.

    Secretary for Food and Health Professor Sophia Chan Siu-chee convened an interdepartmental meeting on Thursday to discuss the latest situation and possible contingency measures. She urged the public not to worry about the disease, which humans cannot catch. “[African swine fever] is a contagious disease in pigs which will not be transmitted to humans, posing no food safety risk. Well-cooked pork and pork products are safe for consumption,” she said.

    China reported its first outbreak in August in the northeastern province of Liaoning. Cases were later reported in 23 provincial-level regions. At least 631,000 pigs have been culled in the battle against the disease. The owner of a local pig farm, speaking anonymously, said he worried there would be a high chance of the disease spreading from the mainland to Hong Kong, given the high number of pigs sent to the city every day. “Hong Kong and mainland pigs are handled together in the same facilities, and there are trucks and people going in and out of those places,” the owner said. “If there is African swine fever in the slaughterhouses, people might not notice. But a truck might carry the virus and spread out when going to local farms.” He said that about two months previously his farm had stepped up hygiene measures to prevent the fever, such as thoroughly cleaning the facility once a week, as opposed to the usual once a month. It also cut inward deliveries from three times a week to once a week, to decrease traffic in and out.

    But Hui Wai-kin of the Hong Kong Pork Traders General Association said he was not worried the virus would spread to Hong Kong, as mainland authorities had enhanced hygiene inspection measures for pigs crossing the border. For example, he said, pigs would need to be observed at an inspection point for eight hours to ensure good health before they could enter the city. He added that Hong Kong authorities also conducted inspections before and after slaughtering pigs. Hong Kong health officials earlier this month did a culling drill, for in the event of the fever spreading to the city. A total of 30 toy pigs were used in the drill. Photos of officers in full protective gear playing with the pink toy pigs attracted city residents’ attention on social media.


Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS